Re: [ecasound] stereo to surround converter

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 24 2012 - 10:05:50 EEST

On Wed, October 24, 2012 5:36 pm, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi Patrick!
> Well I can see what you do, but I don't really get it. Perhaps I'm not
> investing enough time. But: What does it do? OK, it creates a 5.1 file.
> But
> where's the fun in that, when the inut is just stereo. Do you distribute
> the
> audio differently? Because a normal 5.1 system should be able to play a
> stereo
> file without any problem. Even splitting off the bass shouldn't be
> difficult.
> I could now try to use it and then pipe it through my csound 5.1 to stereo
> script and listen for the difference, but that's imprecise. :-)

The script provides a broadcast/cinema compatible 5.1 surround file. With
it you will get 6 distinct channels correctly processed and filtered so
that you receive the following output:

Channel 1: Left Front
Channel 2: Right Front
Channel 3: Center
Channel 4: LFE
Channel 5: Left Rear
Channel 6: Right Rear

Of course it is meaningless if you don't have a true stereo file to
convert but theoretically you could route all your true stereo tracks via
this script before playing them on your 5.1 surround sound system to enjoy
a more enriched audio experience ;-)

In my case I needed it to process over 30 hours of broadcast audio for a
TV station in Malaysia. Scripting it with ecasound means I can process all
30 hours of audio content in 7 hours of runtime on my quad core, 8GB RAM
Linux Workstation.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd
Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.