Re: [ecasound] Problem with Ecasignalview

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2011 - 19:38:18 EEST

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:48:41AM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> hello all!
> S. Massy reported this problem on LAU. he says, that even with the
> newest ecasound (2.8.1) ecasignalview stops working after a few
> seconds nothing more happens and the max peak counter seems to be
> reset, as far as I understood. I just worked with ecasignalview for
> a few minutes without problems. Any ideas, why that might be
> happening. The system is Debian Squeeze, with - I believe - a distro
> installed jack.
> Warm regards
> Julien
Thanks, Julien, I am now on this list as well. The problem was really no
problem. Ecasignalview defaults to null as output, rather than rtnull,
which means that the file is processed in a few seconds. Perhaps it
would be more intuitive is the output defaulted to rtnull?

I have a another real problem with ecasignalview however. It does not
seem to want to interact with jack objects at all, either as input or
output. A typical session using any jack object looks like this:
$ ecasignalview -d mywav.wav jack,system
Using audio format -f:s16_le,2,48000
Setting up 2 separate channels for analysis.

**** Pause of several seconds. ****

(ecasoundc_sa) Error='read() error', cmd='cs-connect' last_error=''
 cmd_cnt=22 last_cnt=21.

**** Pause of several seconds. ****

* Message from libecasoundc:
* Connection to the processing engine was lost. Check that ecasound
* is correctly installed. Also make sure that ecasound is either
* in some directory listed in PATH, or the environment variable
* 'ECASOUND' contains the path to a working ecasound executable.

(ecasoundc_sa) Error='sync error', cmd='cs-connected' last_error=''
 cmd_cnt=23 last_cnt=21.

**** Pause and repeat. then... ****

 Unable to start processing. Exiting...

But doing:
$ ecasound -i:mywav.wav -o:jack,system
Works just find. Any thought as to what might be going on here?