Re: [ecasound] lossless conversion broken?

From: Dan Muresan <danmbox@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 16 2010 - 14:49:15 EET

> What I ended up doing was to scale with 0x8000/2^N always, and additionally,
> clip the extreme positive values when converting from float to fixed (so for
> 16bit, +1.0f -> 32767). This in practise seems to the best option overall.

I agree that this seems the best compromise. If some Jack client is
generating a sine wave with [-1, 1] range, it still only gets a
0.001% distortion, and only once per period. This is an artificial
situation in the first place, and it can be avoided by explicit
scaling. By contrast, 1-bit errors for real-world signals were of
larger relative magnitude, very frequent and not controllable by
effect chain setup.

-- Dan