Re: [ecasound] Wanted: examples of using the file update/readwrite mode

From: linux media 4 <linuxmedia4@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 21 2010 - 02:22:06 EEST

>>> Hello all!
>>> I see that the -X flag sets this mode, but how does it work
>>> in practice?
>>> Can anyone point me to some basic examples?
>>> I'm contemplating a punch-in/punch-out function.
>>> Perhaps this mode will help me...
>>> Joel

>> Hi,
>> Here's one way of explaining it...
>> You have an audio file of 120 seconds that you recorded guitar on...
>> You want to record over the part between 30 and 60 seconds...
>> This is what would happen with the two different modes...
>> With -X (Open outputs for updating)...
>> * The (old) guitar parts from 0 to 30 seconds would be unaltered...
>> * The (new) guitar part from 30 to 60 seconds would be recorded
>> successfully...
>> * All the old parts from 60 to 120 seconds would also be unaltered...
>> (You just "updated" the parts you recorded over)
>> With -x (Truncate outputs)...
>> * The (old) guitar parts from 0 to 30 would be gone (ecasound would pad
>> that area with silence)...
>> * The (new) guitar part from 30 to 60 seconds would be recorded
>> successfully.
>> * All the old parts from 60 to 120 seconds would not be there.
>> (The audio file would 60 seconds in length because the file was "truncated")
>> With -x, it seems to work slightly differently when running in
>> interactive mode and non-interactive mode. The simplest scenario is with
>> non-interactive mode in which the file is as long as you record for each
>> individual time and is all new audio each time. But you'll have to
>> experiment with interactive mode to get to know exactly how that works
>> with -x.
>> Hope that helps,
>> Rocco

> Thanks Rocco. At least I have an idea of how Ecasound behaves.
> Looks like for editing in notes or short phrases, I will
> need some more delicate technique.
> Regards,
> Joel

One of the ways I have used "-x" (Truncate outputs) is when I have a
chainsetup that all chains are outputted to jack... like this

-a:1 -i:guitar.wav -a:2 -i:vocal.wav -a:1,2 -o:jack,system

at this point what I have is two chains that are outputting to jack for
monitoring the two audio files. But when I want to "mixdown" those two
files to one file, I replace -o:jack,system with -o:SomeFileName.wav. In
this situation, I would want SomeFileName.wav to be a completely new
file (without old audio from past recordings). So in that chainsetup, I
would use -x. That assures that SomeFileName.wav will only have the
audio from my "mixdown chainsetup".