[ecasound] Nama/Ecasound (was: Re: ecasound and lua?)

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 12:37:01 EEST

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 09:17:16AM +0200, Philipp ??berbacher wrote:
> I noticed that ecasound defaults to two channels, I often want just one,
> and usually that's not the first one.

If you want to record a mono signal from soundcard channel 3,

nama> piano; source 3

You can click on the GUI track input channel button
to accomplish that, too.

To see the Ecasound chain setup that will be used for
recording, you can ask for:

nama> chains

If you don't want any signal monitoring, use:

nama> main_off

In that case, 'chains' will show something very simple, such

-B auto -r -z:mixmode,sum
-a:R3 -i:alsa,default
-a:R3 -chmove:3,1
-a:R3 -f:s16_le,1,44100,i -o:/home/jroth/nama/untitled/.wav/piano_1.wav

You look at it and think, "Of course I could write a script
to generate that."

And you would be right.

After much experience, I would say it is easier to learn the
correct Ecasound commands to create this rather than to
write a script.

However if you'd like to write a script, there are
already interfaces for C, C++, Python, elisp and Ruby.

And I forget, there is a Tcl/Tk front end for Ecasound,
Tkeca, that might meet your needs. It looks pretty, too.

Joel Roth