Re: [ecasound] 2.7.1 hang when calling 'ecasound [ -h | --help ]'

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 13 2010 - 11:26:58 EEST

Excerpts from Joel Roth's message of 2010-07-13 09:36:57 +0200:
> > I got another Arch user to test, and it works for him. He's on using a
> > 32bit system, so it seems like it's 64bit related in some way.
> My unsolicited opinion:
> >From my point of view 64bit userland is still "bleeding edge".
> I've heard some advocate that 64bit is firmly established,
> stable and well-understood technology.
> My own experience (with Debian's "sid" distribution for amd64)
> was that for every bug that I encountered, I first needed to
> answer the question, "does this bug occur in a 32bit
> system?"
> I found the way to answer this question was to maintain
> a 32-bit distribution, and then to repeat whatever test
> under 32bit conditions.
> Now, having gone to all that work, and found several bugs
> that are specific to 64-bit applications, I am once again in
> a bind. Generally lacking sufficient knowledge (and/or cojones) to
> attempt a fix myself, I am left begging for help. Whereas
> with 32-bit versions, maintainers have many more users,
> creating a stronger incentive to debug in an area
> they have more experience, so fixes are often quicker to land.
> It took me only a few months to switch back to 32-bit
> userland. I guess there can be convincing arguments
> for 64-bit, but I'll wait safely behind the curve. :-)
> Best,
> Joel

For me the reason to use 64bit was simple, the laptop could do it, I
just gave it a shot. Arch doesn't do anything fancy like debian, so you
have a pure 64bit system, kernel and userland. If you want 32bit stuff
on top of a 64bit kernel then you pretty much have to do it yourself.
I have experienced relatively few 64bit related problems, which is a bit
surprising. There are a lot more of the "your software is too new"
problems, be it gcc or anything else really. I don't intend to mess with
32bit userland or to re-install or something like that in years to come.

"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan
This email is sponsored by Sprint
Visit --
Ecasound-list mailing list