Re: [ecasound] realtimekit package - what's your opinion about it?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 03 2010 - 23:13:06 EET

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Klaus Schulz wrote:

> I came across realtime kit.
> This package is available on several platforms already. What do you think about it?

the history, of various attempts at making real-time scheduling work
better out-of-the-box in Linux distros, has been long and complicated and
realtime kit is the latest addition to this.

Its advantage is that it has a high likeliness of getting enabled by
default in Linux distros (starting from Fedora [3]). This is definitely a
big plus.

Compared to realtime-lsm module [1], and rlimits based [2], realtimekit
has the big downside that applications need to be modified to use it and
that has caused a lot of heated discussion around this topic (why such a
complex solution when simpler ones exist).

>  Will ecasound support realtime kit sooner or later? Should it?

I think we should definitely support it - hopefully sooner, but at least
later. I'm happy with everything that makes use of rt-scheduling easier
(and safer). The biggest practical blocker is that I'm now happily using
rtprio [2] myself, and rtkit is not available at all yet for my Debian
machines. So IOW, it's not on the top of my todo-list at least...

[1], and also discussed in
     the more recent article you referred
[3] .. also Ubuntu