[ecasound] Mixing operator

From: Krzysztof Foltman <wdev@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 23:28:57 EET

Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Agreed, adding "-eadb:vol-in-db" has been on my todo list for years.
> Many/most people are much more comfortable adjusting the gains in
> terms of dbs. Oh well, it's coming, sooner or later.
Speaking of this kind of bread and butter operations, what about a
better way to route channels in multichannel stream?

Something like -chselect:0,5,3,4 (produces a 4-channel stream that
routes incoming channel 0 to outgoing channel 0, incoming channel 5 to
outgoing channel 1, incoming channel 3 to outgoing channel 2 etc) - the
input channels that are not specified would be ignored.

This is probably hard to implement as it has a different number of input
and output channels, but the only alternative I see (that is generic
enough to allow, say, swapping left and right channels) involves a lot
of -chmove and possibly more than just one chain (which, as far as I
know, introduces latency).

Can be really useful for processing multichannel files and/or working
with a multichannel soundcard. I was trying to write my own "dumb
recorder" style PyGTK frontend, but doing routing in a way that would
allow recording from input 2 on track 1 (plus analogical setup for
monitoring at the same time) without loops and extra latency, looked
hard enough to put the project on the backburner.