Re: [ecasound] JACK port naming [patch]

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 16:52:25 EEST

On Monday 08 September 2008 10:00:49 Julien Claassen wrote:
> Dominic, if you write a patch, then do it on a little more general
> basis. Allow ports to have freely choosable names.
> But I think about the port names starting at one and then just going
> up has a good reason: Who knows what the chosen client-names will be. It
> was nice to name them foo and bar and whatever. But someone could do it
> like: foo, bar, foo, whatever, bar... Some additional checking would be
> required. More information would have to be stored: How many ports did I
> give away for this client already?

Hi Julien,

Making port numbers start at one for each prefix turned out to be fairly
straightforward, a patch is attached. It's still possible to use the same
prefix for multiple inputs/outputs, the ports will then simply use the next
number available.
And besides, this also fixes a segfault that occured when using the same
prefix for inputs and outputs (ecasound -i jack_generic,foo -o
jack_generic,foo), because JACK doesn't allow two ports with the same name,
even if one is input and the other is output.