Re: [ecasound] ecasound-2.5.2 wrongly displayes clipping info ?

From: Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 23:30:55 EEST

--- On Mon, 9/1/08, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound-2.5.2 wrongly displayes clipping info ?
> To: "Sergei Steshenko" <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden>
> Cc: ecasound-list@email-addr-hidden
> Date: Monday, September 1, 2008, 1:26 PM
> Hello again,
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> >> So one option would be to remove the
> "clipping
> >> detection" code altogether
> >> from ecasound (as it's not as useful anymore,
> and
> >> potentially misleading).
> >
> > Actually, I need clipping detection - this is because
> my plugins change
> > peak level, furthermore, due to very complex nature of
> processing the
> > change depends on input signal and is unpredictable.
> but basicly the peak amplitude counter would be sufficient
> to you, or..?
> Oh well, maybe I should just rename "Clipped
> samples" to "Possibly
> clipped samples" or some such... any better naming
> ideas?
> --

You mentioned some kind of guard-band coefficient - just let user set
it, and change default so that -32768..32767 CD audio range will be
considered not to have clipping.

Again, in practical terms I need the "Max gain without clipping" value;
but if I see a warning message about clipping, I want to make sure it's
not there. I often repeat that by default I consider warnings to be errors,
so for me the best way is not to have false warnings in the first place.