Re: [ecasound] mp3 output file truncated

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 10:40:56 EEST

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, decoulon christian wrote:

> I tried to compress a mp3 file (rate 160k) with
> ecasound with some luck but two things are not as I
> wanted...
> The output file is at 128k rate (not the original
> 160k) and for some files I get an output file with
> some 5 seconds missing at the end...

first a general comment - decoding, processing and re-encoding with a
lossy format such as mp3 is generally a bad idea. You will always lose
some information in the process. If at all possible, keep&process your
audio in a non-lossy format such as wav/aiff/flac, and only convert the
final output to mp3/ogg/aac.

> How to preserve the mp3 rate for output, and avoid the
> end truncated...

You can set the bitrate via a param:
# ecasound -eca:0,0,0,0 -i basie57.mp3 -o basie57ok.mp3,160000

Or by modifying your ~/.ecasound/ecasoundrc to set the default bitrate for
mp3 encoding (see man page ecasoundrc(5)).

The truncation of the end is a bug, which is probably related to a bug
that is now fixed in the upcoming 2.4.5 release.

As a work-around, you can pipe to 'lame' via stdout:
ecasound -i foobar.mp3 -o stdout |lame -b 160 -s 44.1 -x -S - out.mp3

This is essentially what ecasound does anyways.

  links, my public keys, etc at