Re: [ecasound] buffer overruns

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 19 2006 - 00:16:19 EEST

Hi Matthew,

just back from a holiday trip, so a bit late reply. But let's see...

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Matthew Becker wrote:

> I'm getting buffer overruns, and before i do anything like try to patch
> kernel, any list suggestions? I read that patching the familiar kernel
> with low latency isn't very clean.. i'm willing to try if necessary but
> i'd hope for an easier way.

It would seem that the SD disk you are writing to is not fast enough to
write data as it is recorder from /dev/dsp, or that ecasound is spending
too much time in passing buffers in the engine. Could you try:

1) Make a quick test recording to a ram-based filesystem (/tmp or
    some tmpfs partition)...? The recording cannot be too long
    anyways, but you can check whether it's the SD writing, or
    something else.

2) Record with:
    sh> ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o test.wav -z:nodb -z:intbuf
    I.e. skip the double-buffering when writing to the SD card.

  links, my public keys, etc at