Re: [ecasound] Error starting lame.

From: Dave Serls <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 25 2006 - 15:01:26 EET

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:58:04 +0200 (EET)
Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > I can't get ecasound to do anything on this particular PC. I have to think it's
> > the soundcard, an old ESS1868 ISA card. Even arecord eventually seg-faults.
> It's strange the arecord works. Ecasound does a few more features of the
> ALSA API, so driver bugs can possible cause problems that do not show with
> ecasound. Btw, why do you use 'alsahw,0'? It's generally good to use the
> alsa-lib plugin devices instead of direct access, so:
> ecasound -i alsa,default -o foo.wav
> ecasound -i alsa,plughw:0 -o foo.wav
> These are equivalent to running arecord without any extra parameters.
   I've never seen adequate or understandable (by me) documentation for using and defining
   the ALSA plugins. I do have some copied stuff in my .asoundrc -- but it's for the
   the linux audio PC downstairs (shared home directory).

*   Dave Serls                                 Littleton, CO, USA      *