Re: [ecasound] Minimum Requirements

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 11:24:15 EET

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Sean Edwards wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody has experienced a minimum
> hardware threshold with ecasound. Specifically in the
> context of recycling old PC's into a new life, is
> there a CPU/RAM combination where ecasound becomes
> unusable?

pretty much anything you can run Linux on will work. I've personally run
ecasound on old 486 machines, as well as on a old H3600 iPaq, which has a
206Mhz arm9 cpu, and 32MB of memory (performance-wise close to an old
486). Biggest technical problem is lack floating-point support on many
embedded systems (like the iPaq) - ecasound will still work, but
will consume more CPU than it should.

  links, my public keys, etc at
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: