[ecasound] play audio file to selected channel

From: Martin Scheffler <schefflermartin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 11:45:23 EEST

Hi List,
I am a Linux audio newbie and I have the following problem:

For a VR installation I need a software that can be triggered in
realtime to play WAVs on a specified channel on a soundcard.

At the moment I work with a standard stereo card, but we will purchase a
hammerfall card shortly.

Am I on the right track with ecasound?
How can I access specific channels?
Do I need Jack? If yes, how do I assign a single channel as target?

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, I didn't find anything in the
Thank you!

Martin S.