Re: [ecasound] speeding up ecasound

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 10:02:37 EEST

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Brad Fuller wrote:

> 1: is there a way to shut off the printf to stdout? I selected -q but still
> receive the text:
> [* Session created *]

Oops, that's a bug. Piping to >/dev/null will help as a temporary fix.

> 2: I really don't understand chains and chainsetups - and maybe I should in
> this case. It seems that a chain is simply the arguments to ecasound. Is that
> wrong?
> So, if it is, what can you do with a chain that is different than just
> specifying the args on the command line? Can you pipe the output of one into
> the next to same time?

I recommend reading the examples page at and the user's
guide. A chain is an abstraction used for signal routing. Chain has one
input, set of signal processing operators (including LADSPA plugins), and
then one output.

A chainsetup is kind of a "session" or "scene". You can have one
chainsetup for mixing and one for recording, and then switch between them
on-the-fly. The options you specify on the command-line form one such

> 3: perhaps a buffer setting is appropriate here. I'm using Steve H's
> tripleParameteric and fastLookAheadLimiter. Maybe a buffer setting different
> than the default would help? Any ideas?

You rarely need to adjust buffer settings anymore in ecasound, as finding
out good settings is mostly automatic nowadays.

  Audio software for Linux!
This email is sponsored by Demarc:
A global provider of Threat Management Solutions.
Download our HomeAdmin security software for free today!
Ecasound-list mailing list