Re: [ecasound] Fade in and fade out

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Fade in and fade out
From: Julian Dobson (
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 20:10:22 EET

I couldn't have said it better myself...

The reason for wanting this is for a internet-radio app - I do have a
database of all the available mp3s, with lengths - but I've noticed that
the lengths are un-reliable (I think a VBR problem as well - it's on my
list to research).

In the app I actually use Madplay for mp3 playback (better that the
default mpg123 used in ecasound) and that it supposed to have a fadeout
option, but it's not yet implemented.

My guess is that fade-out is a lot more difficult to do than fade-in or
fade-out after x secs. I've got the Madplay source as was thinking of
implementing the function for them (along the lines of buffering y secs
of output, where y is the fade-out length, and when the buffer starts to
empty start fading). I was kind of hoping that I didn't need to write
this code though, and that there was a way of doing it in ecasound now.