Re: [ecasound] boolean and small-choice values?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] boolean and small-choice values?
From: Mario Lang (
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 13:52:14 EEST

Kai Vehmanen <> writes:

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Mario Lang wrote:
>> 1. Some copps have only a small number of possible values,
>> like those for waveform selection. It would be great
>> if there were some way to
>> 1. Know which values can be used
>> 2. Have a description for each value, like
>> Square, Sawtooth and so on.
>> 2. Some copps are boolean, i.e., should only
>> have 0 or 1.
> These are both covered by ecasound's object maps, and are utilized for
> instance in ecamegapedal (creates a generic GUI that can be used for
> configuring and using all ecasound effects and LADSPA plugins... ie.
> pretty close to what you are doing).
> The problem is that the object map information is not yet available
> through ECI. On the other hand I've already sketched most of the required
> commands. See the ecasound-iam man page or
> ... and scroll down to 'OBJECT MAPS'. This at least shows what kind of
> information is available. The actual interface might be better.
> Suggestions are welcome.
> Basicly all that is needed is a well-formed (= the syntax is well-defined
> and is meant for other programs to read/parse) register command that would
> not only list all available objects types, but also their parameters and
> other features.
> Hmm, one simple solution would be to have interface based on map-xxx-list
> and map-xxx-describe command pairs. For instance, map-cop-list would
> return a list of strings containing all known cop types (like
> cop-register), and 'map-cop-describe x' would return a decription string
> for the xth cop type in the list. The syntax could be something like...
> 'name,number_of_args,arg1_default,arg1_lowbound,arg2_highbound,...'

To be honest, I'd prefer cop-register to just do all that at once.
Otherwise I'll need to issue N+1 commands to get all the info I want...

>> dialog, at least not for me. If 1 would work, I could
>> use a radio-button-list to implement it, and for 2, I could
>> use a checkbox.
> Check out ecasound/libecasound/eca-operator.h and there the
> 'PARAM_DESCRIPTION' struct. This kind of info is available for all
> parameters (although not currently used by all chainops). LADSPA plugins
> provide similar hints and ecasound is able to map these hints to its
> native format.
>> Any way of getting this working somewhere in the future, maybe
>> something like the already existing preset -ppl and -ppu stuff?
> Yup, these are directly related (they set PARAM_DESCRIPTION fields for the
> preset that is being defined).

So, do you have any plan to expose this information through eci? I was just
wanting to add preset-register support to ecasound.el and noticed
that I cant find a way to get on the -ppl and -ppu information, so before
I start doing anything which needs complete rewrite later on, I wanted to
ask how the schedule is there...