Re: [ecasound] ECI standalone in action

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ECI standalone in action
From: Kai Vehmanen (
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 02:44:47 EEST

Doh, doh, doh. I seem to have developed a very annoying new habit of
forgetting to actually send already written mails. The following is from
last Sunday.

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, S. Massy wrote:

>> # ecalength linked to my new SA ECI impl
> Yes, that was a problem with the ECI implementation up till now: linkage
> against many libraries (including libstdc++ even for non-C++ apps.)
> The new scheme for ECI really seems straightforward and powerful.

Yes. At first this seemed more like an interesting experiment, but while
working on the implementation I realized the numerous of benefits of the

- this is practically the only possible way to make frontends/scripts that
  work with different major versions of ecasound (ie. current with 2.0 and
- by having the ecasound in its own process, we solve a number of
  linking problems (for instance the dlopen() issue with python
  and alsa-lib should be solved by this)
- this allows to use NetECI in combination with ECI apps; this might
  sound a bit complicated at first, but it really is quite useful;
  for instance I'm currently using 'ecamonitor' to monitor my
  tkeca session (!)

... and also, althought the first versions seemed a bit unrealiable, the
latest versions is actually quite robust. I've run a few complicated ECI
tests and it seems to survive them just fine. Of course, more testing is
still needed, but it looks quite good.

> BTW, have you thought of making ecasound shell script friendly? Something like
> providing raw access to the command parser (i.e with readline and
> ncurses disabled) so that a shell could interact
> directly with ecasound.

There's already the '-D' option. That disable curses and realine, plus
it directs all output to stderr. Is something more needed?

 Audio software for Linux!