Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecamegapedal, full-duplex, usb audio
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 01:38:22 EEST
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, janne halttunen wrote:
> is supported by the driver. Perhaps you could test with ecasound: first
> playback, then recording, and finally playback and recording.
Or if you suspect ecasound (or some other app) is not working, you can do
the following full-duplex test:
1. start a mixer app (for example 'aumix' or 'alsamixer')
- set recording source to 'mic' (or 'line-in')
- unmute 'master' and 'pcm'
- mute 'mic' (or 'line-in')
2. play a mp3 or wav file
- if nothing comes out, go back to (1) and unmute
more controls and increase levels until you hear
=> if ok: output works
3. talk to the mic (or feed data to line-in)
- you should _not_ hear anything from the speakers
- if problems, go back to (1)
4. issue "cat </dev/dsp |hexdump"
- you should see a matrix-ish hexview :) - the numbers
should react to the mic input
=> if ok: input works
5. issue "cat </dev/dsp >/dev/dsp" and keep on
talking to the mic
- you should now hear the mic-in signal
from the speakers
=> if ok: full-duplex works
... you can do this test with all drivers (OSS/kernel, OSS/commercial, all
ALSA versions w/ OSS-emulation, various driver-specific drivers).
> I am thinking about writing somesort of a test-script for this common
> category of problems. Don't hold your breath, though :)
That would be great! ;)
-- http://www.eca.cx Audio software for Linux!
-- To unsubscribe send message 'unsubscribe' in the body of the message to <ecasound-list-request_AT_wakkanet.fi>.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Wed Sep 11 2002 - 01:39:50 EEST