Re: [ecasound] ecasound on dell laptop working

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound on dell laptop working
From: The Eye (the.eye_AT_gmx.li)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 02:11:40 EET

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 11:47:08AM -0800, De Clarke wrote:

> SUCCESS
>
> Just wanted to let Kai (and the gang) know that this newbie has got
> ecasound working with the Dell Inspiron laptop with Linux 7.2 --
> maestro driver, OSS/Free as shipped w/Linux (in other words a very
> turnkey out-of-the-box system with no kernel hacking involved).

I am assuming you mean SuSE 7.2 or RedHat 7.2 or something?

Linux 7.2 does not exist (yet) *grin*

> question; when recording with
>
> ecasound -i:/dev/dsp -o somefile.wav
>
> is there any way to stop the recording other than ctrl-c? so far I
> have only read the Example Commands, so as to get started right away
> and find out how well audio capture works w/my hardware. I confess
> I have not yet properly read the manuals :-)

apart from using -c for interactive mode you can use the -t switch ...

> if other folks on this list could comment on what other tools they
> use with ecasound I would be very interested to hear about wav file
> editors, standalone noise filters etc. I built Gmurf but as yet I
> don't understand what it does.

I really like bcast2000 as a wav-editor (fadings and all that, zoom into
wave-forms and so on) .. but it's not developed any more and the
developer has taken it off its site .. apparently some legal fears on
his side regarding DMCA-stuff and so on ... (sucks!)

> my adventures so far are very small beginner steps:
>
> ecasound -i:/dev/dsp -o somefile.wav
> ecasound -i somefile.wav -o /dev/dsp
> lame somefile.wav somefile.mp3
> mpg123 somefile.mp3
>
> I can hear a loss of quality in the mp3 output, but the compression
> is about 10 to 1 and the quality loss is not nearly that large :-)
> so I am impressed.

lame --longhelp *grin*

try: lame -h --vbr-new -V 3 somefile.wav somefile.mp3 for a start ...
or straightforward lame -h -b 192 somefile.wav somefile.mp3 ...

> I realize this is an overwhelming list of newbie questions which
> is why I am asking for FAQs and book recommendations rather than
> for answers :-) Just send URLs and I will go and read...
> I'll also be using google to try to find some documents that answer
> these qs.

let me add something to this: over here is somebody who is using
ecasound mainly because it offers the possibility of recording big files
(bigger than 2 GB) ... and kindof letting go to waste all the filters
and everything, just because I don't know anything about filters in
general .. i.e. the manual is of no use to me, since I don't understand
the words it uses .. I mean OK, I still understand a lowpass and
highpass, but that's as far as it gets ...

bandpass is already too far for me .. and all the other stuff ..
compressor, oscillator, gate and so forth . those are all words I know,
but apparently used in a context where they get a different meaning ..

so .. are there any good documents I could read in order to get to know
about these things?

np: gotan project - el capitalismo foraneo

--
Michael Hellwig  aka  The Eye          michael.hellwig_AT_uibk.ac.at
check out http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csaa5128 for gpg public key