[ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] writable port and client names

Subject: [ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] writable port and client names
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall_AT_uu.net)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 02:03:09 EET

In the new year, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> And neither is ecasound, so same reasoning applies.
> But Jeremy's right in questioning the need for multiple clients. The
> problem is that a one-client solution requires ecasound to have a 'jack
> manager', and as it is now, there's no place to put it. It can't be a
> chain, audio object, controller nor an audio object, so it's something
> that has to be added to the core engine. And if we do this, then we a)
> make ecasound 100% dependent on jack, or b) fill the core code with
> ifdefs. Both seem like bad solutions.
or, write a dummy driver that does nothing and when the user wants jack
support, it really calls upon jack.

This would potentially allow one to load a jack plugin if he/she wanted
jack support and would aid in binary distributions.

> Usually this kind of situation means that our design is too limited for
> what we want to do.

I have wondered this for years.

You could compare it to a GUI framework where
> implementing new widget type cannot be done as an extension of existing
> types, but requires changes to the top-level concept of a widget and how
> they work.
> One thing I've been thinking about is adding a generic driver type to
> ecasound. This would also solve the problem of how to use
> ALSA's hw-sync capabilities. And of course, the concept is not
> new, but has been proven to work in ardour and jackd.
hmm I think we may be saying the same thing?

> But this wouldn't be a small change. The basic design of ecasound's engine
> and types has not been changed since early 1.x versions, and that's a
> _long_ time as pretty much everything else has changed during that time.
but over the years things have gotten slower and that delay is quite hard
to swallow. Maybe it is time to relook at the engine design.