Re: [ecasound] ecs-files

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecs-files
From: janne halttunen (
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 15:24:23 EEST

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, janne halttunen wrote:
> > if you people could be so kind to send me some of your ecs-files, to serve
> > as example when Im making my ecs-file editor, Id be grateful.
> Btw; do you think the format (or more specifically the file layout) of ecs
> files should be changed?

I can't think of anything right now.

> Now when writing an ecs-file, ecasound just dumps the necessary info
> without worrying about readability, etc. It's probably not wise to make
> changes that would cause compatibility problems, but it would be quite
> easy to alter the basic layout, or for instance, add comment lines,
> etc. Any thoughts?

Comments are always nice :)
One sleepless night, I thought about an XML-representation of the setup,
something in the lines of:

..but I don't think it would be that useful. What would, instead, be of use
in XML, is the cop-registers:

<EFFECT type='internal'>
<DESC>Amplifies signal by amplify-% percent.</DESC>

<PARAM number='1'>

<LOWER>0</LOWER> <!-- don't know if this is the case -->

<CHANGABLE>true</CHANGABLE> <!-- the same as the bool 'output' in eca-operator.h -->

I think this would be quite useful to application developers. I am half
there myself, bar the param descriptions.
What would be the best way to start gathering that info about effects'

message to <>.