Re: [ecasound] ecasound syntax

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound syntax
From: Kai Vehmanen (
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 17:44:45 EEST

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, toby wrote:

> The way I understand it, the output file type
> is specified by the extension of the file name.

Yes, this mechanism has been used ever since ecasound was first released.
Relying on extensions is a bit limited, but until now, nobody has
complained about it. ;)

To be precise, ecasound doesn't actually rely on the filename extensions,
rather it uses a regular expression over the whole filename. You can see
the regexp list with "echo aio-register |ecasound -c". I get a total of 41
audio object types...

But I've had a few approaches to this problem on my todo list for quite a
while. For instance:

In the first two examples we use the old '-i' syntax. 'notype' (or
'explicit') is a special proxy file type that opens the filename given as
the 2nd parameter using the explicit object type (for instance .raw). A
bit clumsy notation-wise, but should work.

The '-I' syntax just skips the 'notype/explicit' part. Main problem with
this approach is handling the inverse procedure (for instance when we need
to save a live setup with 'cs-save') - it's somewhat difficult.

> If my take on the situation is correct, couldn't
> ecasound read the file type from the header, and
> could there not be a flag to specify file type as
> well?

Possible, but with some problems. Opening and closing a file for type
recognition can cause trouble (you're opening a pipe, etc). Second problem
is that I don't want the ecasound engine to know about details that are
specific to audio object types (for instance how to recognize a .mod
object handles by the MikMod class. This means I'd have to change the
audio object plugin API, and add the required code to all existing classes
(which are many).

 Audio software for Linux!

-- To unsubscribe send message 'unsubscribe' in the body of the message to <>.