Re: [ecasound] Problem with MP3 files

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problem with MP3 files
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 23:12:31 EEST

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001, William Goldsmith wrote:

> I posted a message about this a few months back, but never resolved the
> issue & ended up doing a workaround instead. Now, I have an entire MP3
> collection that's affected & I really need to come up with a solution as
> soon as possible.
Ah, it was you who had this problem a while ago, wasn't it?
Anyway, the answer to the problem is in a post I sent a few weeks ago.
Your file is a proof of this: the first legible header is at the 2138th byte.
As ecasound only parses the first 1024 bytes of the file for a header it
finds none and therefore assumes wrongly that this file isn't a true mp3 file.

> I have a whole library of files that play fine using mpg123, but not using
> ecasound or ecaplay. Ecasound returns:
>
> ERROR: [ECA-CHAINSETUP] : "Enabling chainsetup: AUDIOIO-MP3: Can't open
> /audio/temp/10002.mp3 for reading." (the file *does* exist)
What version of ecasound are you using? It doesn't behave like mine.