Subject: [ecasound] ecasound 2.0.0 released!
From: Kai Vehmanen (email@example.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 23:59:45 EEST
1. A short summary of changes
New disk subsystem optimized for streaming under high system load,
ECI - a new library interface with implementations in C++, C and
Python, a redesigned MIDI-subsystem, support for ALSA 0.9.x, 32bit
OSS-devices, effect preset improvements, and the usual set of bug
2. What is ecasound?
Ecasound is a software package designed for multitrack audio
processing. It can be used for simple tasks like audio playback,
recording and format conversions, as well as for multitrack effect
processing, mixing, recording and signal recycling. Ecasound supports
a wide range of audio inputs, outputs and effect algorithms.
Effects and audio objects can be combined in various ways, and their
parameters can be controlled by operator objects like oscillators
and MIDI-CCs. As most functionality is located in shared libraries,
creating alternative user-interfaces is easy. A versatile console mode
interface is included in the package.
3. Changes since last release
* Features a new disk i/o buffering system that makes drop-out
free audio streaming possible even under high system loads.
For even more reliable operation, enabling realtime scheduling
and using a low-latency optimized kernel is recommended.
* This is the first stable release to include ECI, a library
interface aimed at scripting, developing ecasound frontends,
alternative user-interfaces and similar uses based around
libecasound functionality. ECI is well defined and documented,
and is easily portable to new languages. Implementations are
provided for C, C++ and Python.
* A complete redesign of the MIDI-subsystem. New features
include support for multiple MIDI-devices, sending MIDI
start/stop/continue and MMC messages.
* New audio object types: ALSA 0.9.x, 32bit OSS devices,
Ogg Vorbis and MIDI (using Timidity++).
* New chain operators: pulse gate, LADSPA based metronome,
tremolo and audio stamps.
* New controller types: generic oscillator, amplitude-to-control
gate and generic linear envelope.
* Support for parametrized effect presets. This feature makes
ecasound's preset system a very powerful tool for sound processing.
* New utilities: ecasignalview, a ncurses-based app for monitoring
4. Links and files
apt-get install ecasound
-- http://www.eca.cx Audio software for Linux!
-- To unsubscribe send message 'unsubscribe' in the body of the message to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Thu May 03 2001 - 23:18:54 EEST