Re: [ecasound] alsa device as input

Subject: Re: [ecasound] alsa device as input
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 23:34:04 EET

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Gerhard Olejniczak wrote:

> I use ecasound 1.8.2r14 together with alsa 0.5.10a. Driver for my
> soundcard
> is es1968. I have created the alsa devices with "snddevices" form the alsa
[...]
> If I try "ecasound -i alsa,0,0 -o something.wav" I get the error:
> ERROR: [AUDIOIO - ALSA2]: "Channel count 2 is out of range!"

This seems odd. In the above case ALSA drivers report that your card
doesn't support recording in 2-channel mode. This is probably not true.
Have you tried recording with arecord?

> "ecasound -i something.wav -o alsa,0,0" works. Using /dev/dsp (OSS
> emulation) as device also works for input and output.
[...]
> Is there any difference in using /dev/dsp or alsa devices?

Depends on what you do. The bottom line is: use what works. For instance I
often use ALSA's OSS-emulation. It works well, and when you have a cheap
consumer card like my sb128, using the native driver interface doesn't
offer many benefits to the end user. This will probably change at some
point when there are more native ALSA utils available.