[ecasound] can I get ecasound to perform AGC?

Subject: [ecasound] can I get ecasound to perform AGC?
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@uu.net)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 15:36:42 EET

Hi there,

I recently purchased a short wave receiver, and because I just wanted to
get started, I got a model that is lacking in several features.

One of my first tasks was permanently connect the radio to my computer so
that ecasound could help me eliminate a 5khz and 10khz whine. YAY! YAY TO
ECASOUND! The next step I want to do is make some AGC work. I tried
compress_brutal, it uses the siple compresser, but in the ecasound version
I have running on this machine, it does not seem to produce any results
other than giving me the original signal, as in, it seems not to show me
much of a difference.

The next thing I tried was to use -eca:.20,.01,1,1 instead of the simple
compresser.

This seemed to help, I had to then add a -ea:20nnn so that I could hear it
again.

What happened seems to be that if static is present, it is raised to match
the voice levels, so the whole mix is held SOMEWHAT constant, but not
totally constant.

Ideally, what I want, is for an effect that could determine the difference
between interference and content, dumping the interference. Possibly the
inverse comb filter might be able to help, but since I never have fully
understood how it works / what it is for, I do not properly know how to
apply it.

If interested in helping me with this, write back and I'll point you to
the live stream.

_J