Re: [ecasound] still alive

Subject: Re: [ecasound] still alive
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 10:47:14 EET

Ok, let's see where we are now...

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> take a break in development. As it is now, the next step will be to
> release a new stable version. So no big new features will be added to
> 1.8.x. But there's still lots of bugs to be fixed before.

Ok, 95% of the bug reports I've received lately have concerned OSS and
ALSA issues, so it looks like ecasound itself is quite stable now. I'll
probably release one more development release (1.8.6), but then it's time
for 1.8.7r15. The critical question is freezing the library APIs. Once I
release a stable version, I can't make any drastic changes until the next
devel-series...

> Things that still need work:

Btw; I've just updated the CVS-tree (committed all patches and fixes
mentioned below).

> - wrap up the freebsd patches

Yup, applied. I'm still waiting for feedback whether my small
modifications work on freebsd (mainly to pthread detection).

> - catch ALSA 0.6.x CVS-tree

Yup, just did this today.

> - ewf handling bug

Yup, applied.

> - ogg vorbis related fixes

Same here. I'm now following the ogg-vorbis CVS-tree, so ecasound
should stay up-to-date with the vorbis tools.

> - tidy up the ECI stuff
> - investigate libaudiofile 0.2.x

These are still on the todo-list. I'm not sure how far I should go with
the ECI stuff. Obviously, ECI is such a big module that I could go on for
years just adding a few more things. On the other hand, it would be good
that 1.8.7 had a version of ECI that would actually be useful for making
real-life apps.