[ecasound] delays using real-time w/redhat 7

Subject: [ecasound] delays using real-time w/redhat 7
From: Greg Hamerly (ghamerly@cs.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 18:22:03 EET

Hi,

I'm having a problem with significant delays in ecasound audio processing.
I used it over the summer with redhat 6.2 and a self-compiled kernel and
got good results. Now I have upgraded to redhat 7 with stock kernel
(2.2.16), and running the command:

> ecasound -r -b:16 -a:1 -i:/dev/dsp -o:/dev/dsp

as root introduces a half-second delay between talking into the microphone
and hearing it come out.

Every now and then (no rhyme or reason) the real-time audio kicks in and
it works fine. But it is the exception, and I don't know why. Examining
debug output (-d:255) from ecasound turns up nothing unusual.

My setup is: redhat 7, pIII 500, 256 MB, soundblaster live value, stock
redhat sound driver (module emu10k1). Ecasound was installed from the
latest ecasound & ecasound-plugins RPMS (1.8.2r14-1).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Please let me know. Thanks,

- greg