Re: [ecasound] Porting ecawave to FreeBSD

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Porting ecawave to FreeBSD
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 04:56:56 EET

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> I believe you need to play around a bit more with ecasound, because
> ecasound-config is the thing which tells the paths to ./configure,
> isn't it?

Yes, packages depending on ecasound (like qtecasound and ecawave) should
use ecasound-config (installed to prefix/bin/ecasound-config) as the
primary source for configuration options. Similarly, packages depending
on libqtecasound (like ecawave) should use qtecasound-config.

Both qtecasound and ecawave add "-I$(includedir)" to the compiler options,
and then use <ecasound/file.h> notation to include ecasound
files. Similarly, ecawave uses <qtecasound/file.h> notation. Other
packages can use "-I$(includedir)/ecasound" + <file.h>, etc ... both
approaches work (as long as they are used consistently).

Inside ecasound (and qtecasound) care must be taken not to reference
anywhere outside the source ($top_srcdir) and build ($top_builddir)
directories. Otherwise it's impossible to do "make" as a normal user and
then (and only then) "make install" as root. When installing files,
$DESTDIR prefix is always used (to allow relocating).

I've just updated qtecasound and ecawave CVS-trees, and made _numerous_
autoconf/automake fixes. If you've had trouble compiling these packages
before, you might want to try again now.

Btw; if you notice parts in ecasound, qtecasound or ecawave CVS-trees
     that break the "rules" described above, please report them as
     they're bugs, not features. ;)