Re: [ecasound] ecawave

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecawave
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 01:53:28 EET

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Rob Coker wrote:

> 1. I've got qt and qt2 on my machine - also a moc and moc2. I had to
> manually edit files to get MOC to point to moc2. Is there an easier way?

Uhm, anyone? :) How about "export MOC=/usr/bin/moc2" before configure and
make...?

<small><rant>
As a side note, this distribution thing is really starting to get out of
hands. Now that we have zillion distros doing things slightly differently,
Redhat releasing devel gcc versions, etc, etc, it's becoming really
difficult to manage package distribution issues. Uhm, it's clear more work
needs to be done, especially with ecawave and qtecasound. Anyway, big
thanks to pld, debian and *bsd guys (and others) for helping me out with
these. It looks like I really need the help. ;)
</rant></small>

> 2. I specified the qt2 directory and configure found it ok, but then make
> didn't use it. Again, I manually edited the Makefile.

Ah, this is clearly a bug.

> 3. It didn't find the ecasound and qtecasound headers in config. It seemed
> at least with the ecasound headers that the configure script took
> /usr/local/include/ecasound as part of the search path, but then looked for
> ecasound/eca-version.h instead of just eca-version.h. In other words, it
> looks like the final path was
> /usr/local/include/ecasound/ecasound/eca-version.h - which doesn't exist.

Ah, this is something that has to be solved for good. First, I just
installed ecasound headers to (prefix)/include/ecasound, and used #include
<ecasound/something.h> in code outside the main ecasound package. Then,
after this had been used for quite a while, I discovered the GTK/GNOME
style "package-config" scripts. So as a result, we have a mix of these
approaches. I'm not sure which one is better, so as a safe bet, I use
both. So, you should have both /usr/local/include and
/usr/local/include/ecasound in your search path.

Btw; and yup, this needs to be solved once and for all.

> 4. The qtecasound_libraries variable was never set in the Makefile, so it
> didn't link right. I manually added -lqtecasound to the link flags.

How about with... "./configure --with-qt-includes=/usr/include/qt2
--with-qt-libraries=/usr/lib/qt2" ...?

> 5. After I got it to compile, link and install, it won't run. It can't find
> the ecasound library. From examining an strace output, it looks in places
> like ~/.kde/.... and other places as well. Any place but /usr/local/lib.
> Now qtecasound and ecasound do just fine and do look in /usr/local/lib. I
> have no idea why ecawave looks all these different places. Can anyone help
> me with this?

Hmm, hand editing the makefiles can easily confuse libtool. How about
adding /usr/local/lib to your /etc/ld.so.conf - then /sbin/ldconfig and
try running ecawave again.

> Do other people have these problems or is it just that I've got a weird
> build environment?

I'm afraid you are not the only one...