Re: [ecasound] Porting ecasound to FreeBSD 4.2 (take 2)

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Porting ecasound to FreeBSD 4.2 (take 2)
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 15:14:22 EET

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Antoine Beaupre (LMC) wrote:

> Actually, what I did was to add a AC_CHECK_FUNCS(mlockall) macro to
> configure.in. I got inspired from mysqld configuration (which would like
[...]
> #ifdef HAVE_MLOCKALL
> if (::mlockall...

Btw; I checked the mlockall() man page, and it seems that you can
check for mlockall with

#ifdef _POSIX_MEMLOCK
#endif

... this should be defined in 'unistd.h'. There also other potentially
useful defines (threads, mmap, select, etc).

> Also, all this mlockall stuff confuses me. The function is not
> documented anywhere, but _seems_ to be there. It's declared in
> sys/mmap.h (I think) and surrounded by a #ifdef _POSIX..._VISIBLE, but
> then if it wouldn't be declared, it would all fail before linking.

Hmm, it might be implemented outside the C-library. mlockall() is
important for secure memory operations (encryption for instance, gpg/pgp
complains if it can't lock its memory area). So mlockall() code might
be located in a separate library in FreeBSD.

> Would you happen to know why it complains about f_prealloc()? Is it used
> somewhere in the source?

No, not in ecasound sources.