Re: [ecasound] A very weird bug

Subject: Re: [ecasound] A very weird bug
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 03:51:20 EET

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, S. Massy wrote:

[ -ei:10 ]
> Well, well, well... I built a debug version but the same bug could not
> be triggered. I spent a little while messing in gdb though and, though the
> exact same behaviour couldn't be reproduced, I was able to get quite a few
> segfaults. I wouldn't bet my life on it but it seems to be in relation
> with memory management. all of the segfaults occurred either in malloc(),
> free(), or resample_with_memory(): what do you make of this?

... that you should expect strange behaviour when using -ei:10. ;)
Seriously, -ei is kind of an oddball among ecasound effects. Its
implementation is based on misusing ecasound's sample buffering system.
You can get some really strange effects by using it (with much better
sound quality than with any real pitch-shifters), but it can also produce
some really weird error conditions. If it wasn't so damn useful, I
wouldn't keep it in the standard distribution.