Re: [ecasound] Porting ecasound to FreeBSD 4.1

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Porting ecasound to FreeBSD 4.1
From: Kai Vehmanen (
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 15:35:57 EEST

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Antoine Beaupre wrote:

> I'm trying to port ecasound 1.8.2r14 to FreeBSD. I have succeeded in
> compiling ecasound in itself, but only after a few hacks. Here are the
> modifications I made to the dist in order to have it compile on FreeBSD:

Great, thanks for the patches! I know a few people have tried ecasound on
FreeBSD before, but they haven't had the energy to solve all issues. But
it seems that you've done just this. Last week I also received a report
that ecasound was succesfully running on Solarix 2.6. So although slowly,
ecasound is getting more portable all the time.

> Yay. But I do not like the text interface. Also, I'm curious about the

Any suggestions for improvement? ;)

> checking for libecasound... checking for main in -lecasound... no
> configure: error: ** libecasound not installed/found **

What version of ecawave?

> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lecasound

Have you run /sbin/ldconfig to create the symbolic links (so that
link /usr/local/lib/ exists).

> I don't understand. There are also strange things happening during
> ecasound's compilation. When linking:
> ../libecasound/.libs/ warning: tmpnam() possibly used
> unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

Hmm, theses shouldn't be too critical. Ecasound uses tmpnam() only in a
few places.

> I was wondering wether it was because "-D_THREAD_SAFE" wasn't included on
> the command line, but then again, preprocessing is already done right?

It might also be a security issue (tmpnam() potentially dangerous, so
compiler wants to warn about it).

 . ... [ audio software for linux ] /\ .
 . ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .
 . [ my armchair-tunes mp3/ra/wav ]

-- To unsubscribe send message 'unsubscribe' in the body of the message to <>.