Re: [ecasound] ecasound hangs when adding chain.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound hangs when adding chain.
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 18:46:00 EEST

>Yes, this is a __very__ common problem. I've received numerous
>problem reports (-a:something causing crashing), but so far
>I haven't been able to reproduce the error. Needless to say,
>I'm quite anxious to resolve this.
>> I did a trace with gdb and find that the program appears to be
>> hanging in a libstdc++ call:
>> (gdb) bt
>> #0 0x4038dc80 in basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
>> __default_alloc_template<true, 0> >::Rep::clone () from
>> /usr/lib/
>Yep, this looks bad. Trying out different versions of libstdc++ would be the
>first thing I'd try myself. Compiling libstdc++ from sources
>is quite painful, so I suggest to use binary-RPMs or debs.

So I noticed. It appears that Im using the latest libstdc++ for my
So its a little hard to replace the libstdc++.a with an older version.
Im also using egcs-2.91.66

It appears that the only newer version is libstdc++-3 (2.90.8)
from the GNU site.

Unfortunately my c++ knowledge is limited to probably only being able
to put cout's before and after all the clone lines I can find in the
libecasound dir.
If you need some compile time on my machine while Im online, to help debug it
I'll give you a login on my machine. Since the problem is reproducible here.

Also I cant see where add_new_chains calls clone... I guess im just showing
my c++ inability.

I've also attempted to use the binary distribution. Though it is linked
with ncurses 4, I assumed was the libc5 version. I appear to only have
ncurses 5 on my machine.
( I had some nasty effects when ncurses 4 was on the machine, as it
also wanted libc5 dynamically linked having both libc5 and libc6 wanting
to be linked in the single binary tends to cause core dumps)

message to <>.