Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?
From: Neil E. Klepeis (
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 08:23:50 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Wed, 3 May 2000, Neil E. Klepeis wrote:
> > I've made a little Perl/Tk prototype front-end to ecasound. A
> > screenshot and the source are available at:
> [...]
> >
> Hmm, looks a lot like Janne Halttunen's gteca (written in Python). Maybe
> you could join forces? Btw; can I add a link to your project on
> ...?

Be my guest. Where can I find gteca? I couldn't find a link to it on
the ecasound website and the link posted to the list in March is
broken. I wouldn't mind trying to collaborate or just give each other

> > This is just an example to illustrate a type of interface that might be
> > incorporated into a GTK front-end.
> Compared to qtecasound, there's one big difference. Unlike qtecasound,
> your front-end is clearly focused (mixing and multitrack recording).
> Qtecasound on the other hand tries to be a generic user-interface
> (player, conversions, effects, mixing, recording, signal recycling, etc).
> Unfortunately combining GUI and genericity causes all kinds of
> problems (complexity, if nothing else).
> If you, or someone else, manages to write a good front-end for recording
> and mixing (these are both areas where GUI is most needed), I could
> concentrate on improving the current qtecasound design:
> - "graphical ia-mode"
> - all configuration is done using ia-mode commands and
> external chainsetup editing
> - graphical widgets are used only for visualization and monitoring

Sounds good. I will continue to develop my little Perl/Tk app for
simple recording and mixing -- like the little 4-track I used to make
demos on. I think working on the things that we, ourselves, will use
is what drives free software. So the idea of your sticking to the more
complete command-driven aspects makes sense. Maybe someone will come
along who really wants a massively-graphical, generic GUI.

Neil E. Klepeis, School of Public Health, UC Berkeley, USA

-- To unsubscribe send message 'unsubscribe' in the body of the message to <>.