Re: [ecasound] using mpg123 and lame

Subject: Re: [ecasound] using mpg123 and lame
From: Evan Langlois (goth_74@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 21:11:21 EET

--- Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Evan Langlois wrote:
>
> > Anyone tried using gogo with ecasound instead?
> Its
> > based on LAME, but replaces some key parts with
> hand
>
> It should work fine as a lame replacement (just
> rename
> gogo to lame). And of course, you can always use

Actually, a symlink would be preferrable

> "ecasound -i somefile.ext -o stdout | some-program "
> as long as 'some-program' supports reading from
> stdin.
> Unfortunately only a few mp3 encoders support this
> (for instance l3enc and bladeent don't). Replacing
> mpg123

There is an easy fix.

mkfifo /tmp/somefile

Then run ecasound to output to /tmp/somefile in the
background and have your mp3 encoder read from this
file. I do it all the time with cdparanoia so I can
rip and encode at once - much faster.

> is more difficult, as ecasound needs mpg123's seek
> functionality.

Dunno about that one :/

> Hmm, I guess I could add a generic mp3-target option
>
> to ~/.ecasoundrc so that you can use all lame
> variants
> without renaming.

That would be a beneficial feature I think.

-- Evan