Re: [ecasound] using mpg123 and lame

Subject: Re: [ecasound] using mpg123 and lame
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 20:13:12 EET

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Evan Langlois wrote:

> Anyone tried using gogo with ecasound instead? Its
> based on LAME, but replaces some key parts with hand

It should work fine as a lame replacement (just rename
gogo to lame). And of course, you can always use
"ecasound -i somefile.ext -o stdout | some-program " ...
as long as 'some-program' supports reading from stdin.
Unfortunately only a few mp3 encoders support this
(for instance l3enc and bladeent don't). Replacing mpg123
is more difficult, as ecasound needs mpg123's seek
functionality.

> Since its based on LAME it may be worthwhile to look
> into and the command line options are identicle. As
> far as I know, when new versions of LAME are released,

Hmm, I guess I could add a generic mp3-target option
to ~/.ecasoundrc so that you can use all lame variants
without renaming.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing