Re: [ecasound] hey all

Subject: Re: [ecasound] hey all
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 04:44:22 EET

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Evan Langlois wrote:

> I was curious as to what made ALSA better than regular
> OSS drivers. There are some really great technologies
> for Linux, but I don't think alot of the lesser used
> technologies will ever take over the more-or-less

Partly because of this, ALSA aims to provide a fully
compatible OSS-layer. If all goes as planned, ALSA
will replace OSS/Free in kernel 3.x ... Here's a few
imporant points:

        - full-duplex (OSS/Free still have problems with this)
        - modular design (writing new sound card drivers is
          much faster as you only need to write the low-level
          parts)
        - new functionality (pcm loopback devices, hardware
          mixing)
        - *very* advanced MIDI-subsystem (comparable to
          systems like MidiShare, etc)
        - free and open-source!

And it's important to notice, that OSS/Free and OSS/Linux are
not the same thing. I've been using OSS/Linux drivers for
a couple years now and they really are good. But as they
are commercial, there's obvious need for better open-source
sound subsystem.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing