Re: [ecasound] hey all

Subject: Re: [ecasound] hey all
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 20:40:01 EET

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, RadiOacTivE HYbRid YaMS wrote:

> i'm a linux/win user, and i'm currently using cool edit under win 98
> 4 most of my editing needs, how long until ecasound will b a
> comparable interface? i'd like 2 ditch windoze altogether as it is so

It's quite impossible to answer this. CEpro represents many years of
commercial development. Ecasound on the other hand is my free time
project. I also work at a local ISP, make music, have my university
studies, etc ... so my time is a bit limited. ;) Btw; I've used
CEPro and Cakewalk myself, but don't need them anymore. Nowadays
I use ecasound for pretty much everything. Only Windows apps I still
need are SoundForge (SF is good for editing the final mix) and RA
encoder. So it's possible.

My current development focus is ecasound's library interface. As I see
it, this is the best way to speed up ecasound development.
As an example, let's say you want write a "Virtual guitar-fx" program.
By using libecasound, you don't need to write any effect nor
sound card I/O code. You just write a GUI and libecasound does the
rest. When new effects are added to ecasound, your program can use it.
And of course, this works the other way around. If you write some new
effects, I can add them to the library.

> much slower etc. even though i have a great machine... also, how long
> till sound card drivers embrace ALSA more fully? I have a lexicon core
> 4 audio card and it is really great 4 4 track input 2 cool edit...

As I see it, the only problem here is sound card manufactures'
attitude against open-source software. ALSA people can't write
drivers without proper specs. But as Linux becomes more popular,
this will change. About a month ago both Creative Labs and Crystal
joined the open-source bandwagon. Other companies will sooner or
later do the same.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing