Re: [ecasound] Splitting music with a fade

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Splitting music with a fade
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 00:20:44 EET

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Phillip Cole wrote:

> 3. Use ecasound to play the first half of the music, and then have a
> seemless fifteen second fade to nothing.
> 4. Reverse step 3 to fade in for 15 seconds and then play the second
> half of the music.
[...]
> I can do steps 1 & 2, but I'm stuck on 3 & 4. I can get it to fade, I can
> get it to play for a set length of time, but I can't get it to join the
> two together.
[...]
> Is this possible with ecasound?

This is an interesting problem. First...

        ecasound -i bigfile.wav -o part1.wav -t:500
        ecasound -i bigfile.wav -y:500 -o part2.wav

Now part1.wav has 500 secs from the beginninng of bigfile.wav
and the rest is in part2.wav. Then you'd do the fade in/outs.
There are a few (not so elegant) ways to do it. You can for
instance use generic oscillators. I'm planning to add simple
"linear fade in/out" controller sources to ecasound (-kfi and
-kfo perhaps). Here's how you combine the separated parts...

        ecasound -i part2.wav -o part1.wav -y:500

I did a quick test and seems to work fine. Hope this helps!

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing