[ecasound] Re: ecasound / alsa compilation trouble (fwd)

Subject: [ecasound] Re: ecasound / alsa compilation trouble (fwd)
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat Dec 04 1999 - 03:48:54 EET

This might be useful for some of you...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 03:47:46 +0200 (EET)
From: Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi>
To: Tom Duffey <cortex@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: ecasound / alsa compilation trouble

Hello,

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Tom Duffey wrote:

> trouble getting it to compile. I've got version 1.6.7r7 of ecasound and
> the latest ALSA drivers from CVS. Compilation fails when it gets to
> libs/audioio-alsa where I get a bunch of errors dealing mainly with
> audioio-alsa.cpp.
[...]
> This could have something to do with the CVS version of ALSA, but I need
> CVS to support the emu10k1 audio chip. Any ideas what to try
> first? Thank you very much for your time!

Yes, the problem is with ALSA-CVS. The upcoming 0.5.x ALSA has a whole
new API for pcm devices (normal audio playback). Currently ecasound only
supports 0.4.x and older. However, ALSA support is important for me
and I'll add support for 0.5.x as soon as it gets ready. Currently
it's still a moving target. But while waiting for a new ALSA stable
release, you can compile ecasound without ALSA support (./configure
--disable-alsa) and use ALSA's OSS emulation to use ecasound. If
the OSS-compatibility layer works with emu10k1 (which I suspect it
does), this should work nicely.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing