Re: [ecasound] 1.6.4d6: problems with adding chains

Subject: Re: [ecasound] 1.6.4d6: problems with adding chains
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 14:54:37 EET

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Jeremy Hall wrote:

>> The problem here is: all chains in a connected chainsetup must always
>> be attached to one input and output. I'll try to come up with a way to
> How can I add a chain, add some inputs and outputs, then press go? can I
> put them all on one line?
>
> c-add foofoohead -i /tmp/foofoo.raw -o /tmp/head.raw

There's no need for this. When you do changes like this, you must
disconnect the chainsetup your editing.

--cut--
[ your processing some file ]
stop
cs-disconnect
c-add foofoohead
aio-add-input /tmp/foofoo.war
aio-add-output /tmp/head.raw
cs-connect
start
--cut--

Ecasound tries to do some of this automatically, but it can't do it
all. The reason why chainsetups must be connected is mainly a
performance issue. When you can't connect invalid chainsetups -->
engine doesn't have to do any runtime checks --> better performance.
Some things can be done while chainsetup is connected:

        - start, stop
        - rewind, forward, setpos, c_rewind, c_forward, c_setpos
        - cop-set (=changing parameter values)
        - mute, bypass

But everything else has to be done "offline".

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing