[ecasound] WOW LOOK AT HESE PATCHES!

Subject: [ecasound] WOW LOOK AT HESE PATCHES!
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@uu.net )
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 17:53:11 EET

so I read the audio quality howto, something I had not read before, and
decided to go track down these infamous patches that are supposed to make
all my overrun/underrun dreams come true.

After finding the patch, fighting with the diff to make it somewhat patch
on 2.2.13, and reading through LOTS of linux-kernel mail, it grew in my
absance.

[jhall@neserve0.corp.us.uu.net(tcsh):148] pwd
/homes/norge/eng/jhall/Mail
[jhall@neserve0.corp.us.uu.net(tcsh):149] ls -l linux-kernel
-rw-r--r-- 1 jhall 95252201 Nov 4 09:06 linux-kernel
[jhall@neserve0.corp.us.uu.net(tcsh):150]

I read all about Mingo's patches and how they supposidly fixed tons of
problems. I tore out the serial and video patches because his patch was
made before the FB rework and I don't understand what the rework does.
After recompiling, my machine can now happily run update to its heart's
content without interrupting audio. I wonder what does this do to
ecasound when multitrack recording? I haven't tried recording yet with it,
but I am seeing improvements on the speed with which data is digitized and
retransmitted on the ethernet.

I don't support the hackage associated with building IOS, and I understand
these patches sortta gloss over the real problems, but it is a nice
temporary fix.

_J