Re: [ecasound] Samplerate fascism?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Samplerate fascism?
From: Arto Hamara (artham@utu.fi)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 20:56:27 EET

Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> writes:

> > hey that 1/s is important!
> [...]
> > perhaps a #define to allow broken cards to work. I definitely think a
> > warning should be initiated.
>
> Hmm, one possibility is to add a "precise_samplerate_mode=true|false"
> to ~/.ecasoundrc ... So:

Sounds pretty good. But hey, how about pretty_damn_precise_samplerate_mode?
We could read samples from card for x usecs, and calculate the precise
samplerate for card. This would require subsample-level resampling and be
inconvenient and slow, but it would sure make for a cool feature. =)

> I guess the default should be 'false' (sb128 would work without
> performance loss caused by resampling).

Yeah. If people did care about sound quality, they wouldn't have
crappy soundcards.

On the plus side, ecasound seems to play sb128 fine using alsa drivers.
Maybe the problem is in the OSS driver.

--
,' Arto Hamara * artham@utu.fi * http://slayground.yok.utu.fi/ ,-'