Re: [ecasound] CVS availability

Subject: Re: [ecasound] CVS availability
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 19:08:35 EEST

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> I wonder if you use the CVS to maintain the project? The quick look
> failed to find the traces of CVS keywords, but then again it was a quick
> search.

No, I don't use CVS at the moment. I'm not sure whether it would
be useful just yet. You really don't want to use older versions
than the latest stable release and usually there isn't anything
newer than the latest development release.

When I start to work on some feature or bug, I usually keep
working on it until I get it ready and have a relatively
stable version (one that I can use myself). I'll always release
these as development versions. I have scripts for making the
distribution packages and updating WWW-pages so this doesn't
take much of my time.

And some versions aren't really suitable for public use. For instance
I didn't want to release 1.5.4 and 1.5.5 versions as the new
.raw/.wav input double-buffering made these versions extremely
unstable. It still causes problems especially when used with
qtecasound and this is why I had to disable it by default in
1.5.6r5. You can enable it with "-z:db".

Btw; I'd like to know how this new buffering works with different
     setups. Basicly, instead of reading buffer at a time,
     each input has two 512kB (total of 1MB!) buffers. A separate
     thread handles all these buffers. In theory, this should
     increase ecasound performance a lot when mixing multiple
     input files. I got the idea from a recent message thread
     on the linux-sound list... Intesting to see how it works.

> Any comments? If you do use the CVS, is it possible to get at least
> read-only access to it?

And of course, I'm open to suggestions. There might be some
benefits in using CVS that I've overlooked...

--
Kai Vehmanen ----------------------------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 : email                                 mailto:kaiv@wakkanet.fi